Did you know you can no longer make decisions for you child? According to an article by Cheryl Winokur Munk of The Wall Street Journal, not only cannot you not make decisions on their behalf, you also are not entitled to obtain information that is considered private without their permission.
Other issues to be aware of:
- Student grades are private unless the student grant permission to share the information
- Bills are in the student’s name so you may not know about them
- Medical information is private because of HIPAA. Authorization is required.
- You cannot make health care decisions for your 18-year-old
Some of the documents to consider are the same as parents should also have created:
- Health-care power of attorney for your college bound child
- HIPAA authorization so medical personnel can speak to you
- Financial power of attorney
- Education Record Release